Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Swelltide.

Today marked the end of my first semester (back) at school. Physics final this morning that I probably bombed, but I am feeling optimistic about it all now. Probably, because it is done. Over for now, and break until next month. Thinking of going into the office sometime later this week. Maybe.

My heart goes out to the kids and parents in Newtown. A lot of mental health 'talk' in the news. Crazy people and gun control. I don't really have anything overly meaningful to add to the whole debate, beyond being appalled by the way these kinds of things are being covered by the media on the left and the right.

Apparently talking about gun control in the wake of such an incident is 'knee-jerk.' I heard a lot of this on the A.M. stations much earlier this morning, on my way in to school. But, what other time is there, really? I am neither for nor against gun control. It seems futile to me. As futile as the likelihood of the war on terror having any real impact on terrorism the world-over. As futile as someone going into the broken U.S. prison system being rehabilitated.

If the time to talk about the big issues isn't after something like this happens, then when is the time? It is only in the wake of something like this that a real dialogue about important issues happens in the United States. Better now than never. Gun control won't happen in any meaningful way anyway, ever. Why? The 2nd Amendment. And, for the same reason that the war on terror is doomed, no child left behind is doomed, the war on drugs is doomed. Society approaches things like this in the worst possible way.

It will be interesting to see how much of this was misinformation, two weeks from now.

Everyone forgets about the children. That is what is really important. Some of the news networks were interviewing the children. Nothing is sacred anymore.

Anyway, I've felt fairly level the last few days. I haven't been sleeping well, but I toss it up to the stress of finals. Staying up late to study, coming home and crashing during the day, then I'm not tired at night. My system is out of whack. Something to work on.



No comments:

Post a Comment